Unfortunately, there are plenty of unlicensed locksmiths in the industry that give everyone a bad name. Having a license can help you stand out from the crowd and differentiate you as a credentialed professional.
If you live in Oregon and see a future in the locksmith industry, you are in for some luck. Why?
The state has one of the most accessible licensure processes. Basically, you can apply for the locksmith license, take the examination, and study for the certifications—all online. This is almost unheard of in other states where you may have to travel far and wide to get licensed.
Below, we will review the entire licensing process and give you tips on how to find employment and leads for your own locksmith business.
How Do You Get a Locksmith License in Oregon?
1. Ensure you meet the requirements for a locksmith license.
Oregon locksmith licenses are administered by the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB).
To obtain a locksmith license:
- Complete your application: Find the application for different locksmith specialties here.
- Pass a criminal background check: Applicants are advised to disclose any criminal convictions.
- Provide proof of general liability insurance: Businesses are required to get insurance to cover the costs of accidents, damages, or severe injuries.
- Pass an exam: All applicants must pass a locksmith licensing examination.
2. Pass a criminal background check.
As part of the process of obtaining a locksmith license, you must provide details about any crimes that you have been convicted of in the last 7 years.
What criminal history can get you disqualified?
- Assault in the first degree
- Various sexual crimes
- Arson in the first degree
- Robbery, theft, or burglary in the first or second degree
- Theft by extortion
- Aggravated theft in the first degree
3. Pass licensing exam.
To obtain a locksmith license, the state of Oregon requires you to pass a licensing exam. The 80-question test is administered online and costs $60. Once you pass the exam, you’ll be given a two-year certification.
How to pass your Oregon locksmith licensing exam?
The CCB provides books to prepare for the licensing exam:
Author: Bill Phillips
Publisher: McGraw Hill
ISBN number: 978-0-07-144829-1
The Locksmith Dictionary 2009
Developed by the Lock Industry Standards and Training Council
4. Pay application fee.
The locksmith license application fee is $60 and the exam certification costs another $60.
5. Submit your application.
The locksmith license application must be submitted through the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB) and is completely online.
How to Find Work as a Locksmith in Oregon
- For technicians: There are a number of ways to find gigs as a locksmith. Jobs are posted on online job boards, LinkedIn, and other job posting platforms. Also, give this method a try: call up a local locksmith shop to see if they are hiring. It may get you noticed faster than sending in an application or a résumé.
- For business owners: Use a combination of SEO, paid advertisements, and social media to find leads fast for your business. You can check out our locksmith marketing tips to learn how to supercharge your business and grow your client base.
- Get locksmith software: Use Workiz Locksmith Scheduling and Management Software to help you find more jobs. You can manage and track leads from online advertisements, communicate with clients easily and quickly, close more jobs, and schedule them easily.