Obtaining a locksmith license means that you have a basic understanding of how to perform your job well and keep yourself and your customers safe, according to your state’s safety codes and standards.
Today, we will get you on your way to obtaining a locksmith license in North Carolina and offer a few tips to prevent injury and increase revenue.
How Do You Get a Locksmith License in North Carolina?
1. Ensure you meet the requirements for a locksmith license.
Locksmith licenses are administered by the North Carolina Locksmith Licensing Board (NCLLB).
To obtain a locksmith license you must provide:
- A completed locksmith license application
- A copy of any locksmith training or education certificates
- A copy of a valid license from any state (if applicable).
- A copy of your legal resident alien documents, for non-U.S. citizens
- A photograph (printed or in .jpg format) taken within the last three months
- A criminal history report from your county of residence
- A signed and notarized Authority for Release of Information for state and federal record checks
- Proof that you passed the NCLLB locksmith licensing examination
2. Pass a criminal background check.
The NCLLB will conduct a formal history or disciplinary history check. The fee for this is $38.
What criminal history can get you disqualified?
- Theft or embezzlement as a locksmith business owner or employee
- A conviction of a criminal offense other than a minor traffic violation
- A conviction or guilty plea by a court-martial while serving as a member of the Armed or Reserved Forces (if applicable)
If you have a criminal history, the board will take into consideration the date of the crime, the seriousness of the incident, your age when it happened, and the context to give you a fair chance. This is why it’s crucial to provide honest and straightforward responses on your application.
3. Pass a locksmith licensing exam.
The locksmith licensing exam is administered by the NCLLB at several locations across the state of North Carolina, 6 times a year. You must check the Licensing Board’s website to view the exam schedule, and pay a fee of $200 to take the exam.
How to pass your North Carolina locksmith licensing exam?
NCLLB has a study guide available that you can use to prepare for your locksmith licensing examination. If you want access to the study guide, email the Licensing Board at email@example.com, provide your shipping/mailing address, and pay a fee of $30 to receive the guide via mail.
4. Pay application fee.
The locksmith license application fee is $200.
5. Submit your application.
You can print the forms and mail them or submit the application directly online.
NC Locksmith Licensing Board
P.O. Box 10972
Raleigh, NC 27605
How to Stay Safe as a Locksmith?
Whether you are a business owner or employee, you want to make more money, right? Of course, you do. Well, first of all, you cannot earn a consistent income or even scale your business if you or your technicians are injured or unprepared for the job. Thus, the first step is to get the right locksmith tools that every technician needs; these tools are helpful when working in dangerous areas to prevent injuries, such as cuts and burns.
Next, learn what tool belts and bags to invest in to perform more efficiently and keep you balanced. There are hundreds of different designs and styles on the market built for different tasks, body shapes, and sizes to protect your back, shoulders, and legs from getting sore or strained, or prevent you from excessive leaning to one side.
Last but not least, the right technology helps locksmiths stay safe. If you want to run a well-oiled machine, Workiz’s Locksmith Scheduling and Management Software has job and inventory management features that can help you track jobs as well as manage inventory and get alerts when tools or parts are low. One reason that technicians get injured is that they underestimate projects, show up unprepared, and begin work at the risk of getting hurt in order to not lose money. Job tracking and inventory management let you scope out projects before you arrive, so you always come prepared in any situation. The next time you’re on site, try Workiz for free!