Watch the full webinar with Lee Godbold, CEO of JRA:
Are you looking for ways to take your junk removal business to the next level and become a one-million-dollar entity? Growing your business to this level takes a lot of hard work and dedication, but it’s not impossible. Here’s a look at how you can get your junk removal business to the seven-figure mark.
Read the summary if you don’t have time to watch:
Invest in your junk removal business
One of the best ways to ensure your business’s success is to treat it like an investment. Getting Workers’ Compensation insurance and hiring a new person is important to ensure your business runs smoothly. You should also consider putting off profits for a year or two to reach a million dollars in sales by year three.
Create a professional website
A website is essential for any business, but it’s especially important for junk removal. Your website should be clean and professional and have a phone number for customers to call when they need assistance. Several companies have tested and determined what will lead to the most bookings, and having a website is one of the most important steps.
There are several best practices to consider when creating a website for a junk removal company. Here are a few key points to keep in mind:
- Use a modern and responsive design. Your website should look great on desktop and mobile devices and be easy to navigate. This will make it easier for customers to find the information they need and contact you when they need junk removal services.
- Make sure your website loads quickly. This is important for two reasons. First, slow-loading websites can frustrate visitors, leading to higher bounce rates and fewer bookings. Second, search engines like Google consider page load times when ranking websites, so a fast-loading website is more likely to rank higher in search results.
- Optimize your website for search engines (SEO). This means using keywords in your website’s content, meta tags, and other elements to help search engines understand what your website is about and improve its ranking in search results. Some common keywords for a junk removal company might include “junk removal,” “junk hauling,” “trash removal,” and “rubbish removal.”
- Include a clear call to action. Your website should make it easy for customers to contact you when they need junk removal services. This might mean including a phone number, email address, or contact form on your website, along with a clear and compelling call-to-action that encourages visitors to take the next step and reach out to you.
- Provide information about your services and pricing. Customers will want to know your services, how much they cost, and what sets your company apart from the competition. Make sure this information is easy to find on your website, and consider using a pricing calculator or other tools to help customers get a better idea of what they can expect to pay for your services.
By following these best practices, you can create a modern, fast, and SEO-friendly website that will help your junk removal business attract more customers and generate more bookings.
Invest in quality trucks
You must have clean and well-maintained trucks for your business to have a good reputation. It’s also important to ensure that your trucks are regularly serviced and safe for customers to use. This will ensure that your customers are satisfied with their experience and will be more likely to come back to you in the future.
When choosing a new junk removal truck, there are several key categories to consider. Here are five examples:
- Capacity and payload. The truck should be large enough to hold the amount of junk you typically need to remove, and it should have a payload capacity that can handle the weight of the junk without exceeding the vehicle’s limits.
- Fuel efficiency. The truck should be fuel-efficient to help reduce operating costs and minimize your environmental impact.
- Maintenance and reliability. The truck should be reliable and easy to maintain, with a proven track record of durability and performance.
- Safety features. The truck should have safety features such as seat belts, airbags, and backup cameras to protect the driver and passengers and help prevent accidents.
- Brand reputation and customer support. The truck should be from a reputable brand with a history of high-quality products and good customer support. This will help ensure that you can get the help you need if you have any problems with the truck.
Advertise your junk removal business
Advertising is essential for any business; the same is true for junk removal. You should spend most of your budget on Google Ads, which can effectively get your business in front of potential customers. You can also invest in graphics for your truck and list your business on review websites like BestLocalReviews.com to solicit reviews. Maintain profitability across all marketing channels by knowing your Allowable Customer Acquisition Costs.
There are several effective channels for advertising a junk removal business. Here are six examples:
- Google Ads. Google Ads is a pay-per-click advertising platform that allows you to target potential customers based on keywords, demographics, and other factors. Google Ads can be an effective way to get your business in front of potential customers when they are searching for junk removal services.
- Social media advertising. Social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter allow you to target potential customers based on their interests and demographics. You can use social media advertising to promote your business and its services to a targeted audience.
- Print and online directories. Many people still use print and online directories, such as the Yellow Pages and Yelp, to find local businesses. You can list your business in these directories to make it easier for potential customers to find you.
- Local advertising. Local newspapers, radio stations, and TV stations often offer advertising packages that can effectively reach potential customers in your area.
- Truck graphics. Graphics on your trucks can help to promote your business when you are on the road. Consider using a catchy slogan, logo, or other branding elements to make your trucks more visible and memorable.
- Customer reviews. Customer reviews can be a powerful advertising tool for your business. Encourage satisfied customers to leave reviews on websites like BestLocalReviews.com and Google My Business to help promote your business and attract new customers.
Charge a fair price for junk removal jobs
When starting out, it’s tempting to charge the cheapest prices you can get away with. However, this isn’t a sustainable business strategy. You should be charging enough for your services to invest in and grow the company. For example, if you’re charging $300 for truckloads, you can expect to make $300,000 yearly with one reliable truck.
There are several key guidelines to follow when pricing your fare for a junk removal job. Here are three examples:
- Consider your costs. Your pricing should be based on the costs of operating your business, including the cost of labor, fuel, and maintenance. Your pricing should be high enough to cover these costs and generate a profit but not so high that it’s out of line with market rates and turns customers away.
- Consider the value of your services. Your pricing should also reflect the value of your services to the customer. This might include factors such as the convenience of having someone else take care of the junk removal, the environmental benefits of recycling and repurposing materials, and the peace of mind that comes from knowing the job will be done right.
- Consider the competition. You should also know what other junk removal companies in your area are charging and adjust your pricing accordingly. If you’re significantly cheaper or more expensive than the competition, you may need to adjust your pricing to match market rates.
Using our free tool, you can get pricing data for junk removal in your own state.
Hire Reliable Employees
The most common problem for junk removal businesses is finding reliable employees. You should read through each resume and call the individual for a phone interview. Once you’ve gotten three references, you can schedule a face-to-face interview with the candidates. Make sure to let them know over the phone if they pass the drug test and their background check.
There are several guidelines to follow when hiring the best employees for a junk removal business. Here are five examples:
- Clearly define the job duties and requirements. Before you start the hiring process, it’s important to have a clear understanding of what the job entails and what qualifications and skills are necessary to be successful in the role. This will help you attract the right candidates and evaluate their fit for the job.
- Use a structured and consistent hiring process. This might include steps such as reviewing resumes, conducting phone interviews, checking references, and conducting in-person interviews. A consistent process will help ensure that you make fair and objective decisions about which candidates to hire.
- Consider a trial period. Suppose you’re unsure about a candidate’s fit for the job. In that case, you might consider offering a trial period where they can work temporarily before being offered a full-time position. This can allow you and the candidate to see if the job is a good fit before making a longer-term commitment.
- Focus on fit and potential. In addition to evaluating candidates’ qualifications and skills, it’s important to consider their fit with the company’s culture and values and their potential for growth and development. A candidate who may not have all the required skills but has a good attitude and is willing to learn can be a valuable addition to the team.
- Provide ongoing support and development. Once you’ve hired the best employees for your junk removal business, you must provide them with the support and resources they need to succeed in their roles. This might include training, mentoring, and opportunities for professional development. Investing in your employees can help them grow and develop, benefiting them and your business.
Invest in field service management software to streamline your operations
Field service management software is a type of software that is specifically designed to help businesses that provide on-site services, such as junk removal. This software typically includes tools for scheduling, dispatching, and tracking field workers, invoicing, payment processing, and reporting features. By using field service management software, junk removal business owners can manage and coordinate the activities of their field workers more efficiently and gain valuable insights into their business performance. Field service management software can help junk removal business owner streamline their operations, improve customer satisfaction, and grow their business.
Workiz is the best software for a junk removal business because it offers a comprehensive suite of tools to help you manage and grow your business more efficiently. With Workiz, you can easily schedule jobs, dispatch employees, and track their performance in real-time. You can also create professional invoices and accept payments online, which can help you get paid faster and more securely. Workiz offers robust reporting and analytics features that can help you track your business’s performance and identify growth opportunities. Overall, Workiz is a powerful and user-friendly platform that can help a junk removal business streamline its operations and achieve its goals.