If you want to work in the locksmithing industry or open your own business and market yourself as a locksmith in Virginia, you will need to apply for a license. Want to see if you’re eligible? Keep reading.
How Do You Get a Locksmith License in Virginia?
1. Ensure you meet the requirements for a locksmith license.
To obtain a license:
- Complete your application: You can find applications for individuals and businesses here.
- Age: Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- Training and examination: You must take an entry-level locksmith course and pass a written exam.
- Criminal background check: Get fingerprinted, complete a background check, and pay a fee.
2. Pass a criminal background check.
You will be asked to reveal any criminal convictions on your locksmith license application. If you have a criminal history, you will need to submit a Criminal History Supplemental Form and provide copies of police and court records.
You must also get fingerprinted with Field Print Virginia and complete the fingerprint processing application, for a fee of $50.
What criminal history can get you disqualified?
Your application may be rejected if you’ve been found convicted of a felony or misdemeanor (other than a minor traffic violation).
3. Pass a licensing exam.
After you complete your 18-hour training course, you will need to pass a written exam.
The course covers the following topics:
- Code of Virginia and 6VAC20-174, Regulations Relating to Private Security Services
- Signs of Terrorism
- Orientation to Locksmithing
- Technical Applications
- Public Safety Codes
How can you pass your exam?
The DCJS offers a directory where you can find verified training courses to fulfill all your locksmith training requirements and access resources to pass the test.
4. Pay application fee.
The application fee for licensure is $25.
5. Submit your application.
Get to Work as a Locksmith in Virginia
Here’s some good news: DCJS allows you to work 90 consecutive days while you’re in the process of getting your training and while your application is being processed. This means that you can start your career or business immediately without waiting to finish school or pass the exam.
When you pass, sign up for Workiz Locksmith Scheduling and Management software. It’s a tool that handles online booking, scheduling, invoicing, inventory management, ad tracking, and more, all in one place. It’s impossible to go out in the field without the right tools in your toolbox, let alone without the right apps on your phone or iPad to stay organized and get jobs done faster. Start a free trial of Workiz as soon as you start working as a locksmith.